LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Front End Suspension Rattle - '05 G35 AWD

RE: '05 G35 AWD sedan: I have been reading posts on the net about front end rattles in G35's and observed horror stories from others spending hundreds of dollars due to improper diagnostics and replacing the wrong parts. I don't want to be one of them so this discription will be long.

First started on the right side at about 90k miles shortly after replacing the right front wheel bearing (for the second time). Sounded like a wrench or screw driver was left in the suspension or something bouncing around the inner fender well. Not a clunk but a very annoying rattle, especially at slow speeds over small bumps. Going 35/40 it is still there but not as noticeable. Going over small bumps while braking reduces or eliminates the rattle. I thought it was a swaybar end link and purchased a new one. However when changing the right end link one of the two lower retaining bolts snapped off and I stopped. Afraid to go any further I retighted everything and dropped the jack. THE NOISE WENT AWAY!.

Now at 102K the left side developed the same rattle. If feels like it is under my left foot somewhere. Everything was fine until the car was jacked up to rotate the tires. A week later this rattle started.

I believe somehow jacking the car up and unloading the suspension caused stresses and something old to shift or crack in the suspension. In the right side it reshifted the worn part and stopped the rattle when jacked up the second time and on the left side it cracked something and started it.

I am eliminating the shocks because it can rattle on the smallest cracks in the driveway. I suspect compression rod cracked bushings but how do I prove it??

Last night I pulled the "G" up on ramps and hammered joints I could get to with a sledge to try to reseat them if anything was not seated right. I also took WD 40 and sprayed all rubber areas. The noise reduced some but is still there. What helped? Hammering, WD 40 or outside temps rising above freezing here in Youngstown Oh.

One thing odd(?) appeared. On the rubber mount for the rear of the left compression rod when I sprayed WD 40 on the top side of the rod bushing the WD 40 dripped THROUGH the fitting and came out the bottom. IS THIS NORMAL OR DOES IT REPRESENT A CRACKED BUSHING?

Thanks for staying with me this long. Last if it is the compression rod bushings, DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD LINK TO A SITE THAT CLEARLY DESCRIBES HOW THE REMOVE THE ROD on an AWD sedan??

Any other words of wisdon will be appreciated!

By the way, other than brakes, rotors and battery, after 102K, the only repairs made so far are three front wheel bearings and weld a rusted exhaust flange between the muffler and exhaust pipe.

Thanks,

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)

If the rattle goes away when you apply the brakes, it leads me to think the noise is caused by the brakes. Maybe the pads are moving around in the calipers.

After 8 years and 100k miles, your compression rod bushings are probably bad, but they usually make noise with large changes in movement of the suspension.

The noise could be a sway bar or maybe a cv joint. I don't know much about the front suspension of the AWD models.

You can download the factory service manual here. http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...7#.Ur_BJ3-9KK3 some sections are free, but you have to subscribe for the rest. You might also want to post over there in the forum for possible solutions,

'06 Autumn Copper FX35, '11 Alpine White Sentra & 2016 Red Hot Camaro 2SS
post #3 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks Gilley. The rattle is there at higher speeds but just harder to hear. This may be because it is covered over by the general higher road noises. I always do my own brakes and I know they are ok. Originally I suspected the sway bar end links but now I am not sure after reading posts about the compression rods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Sedan 2003-06