LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Intermittent won't start - NATS antenna

I have a '05 G35 that has developed an issue where it won't start sometimes. Battery, fuel, spark plugs, and coils are all OK. I have traced the problem to the NATS system. I researched this issue online and my symptoms are identical to a dozen owners having Nissan & Infiniti cars with the NATS system. I simply switched to my back-up Infiniti ignition key and the won't start problem immediately went away for a while. The non-start issue is creeping back and happens about 1 out of 12 times I start the car. I was surprised when I couldn't find this issue among the 6MT forum, so here goes.

Research tells me there are 4 main items in the NATS system: key; NATS antenna amp; Body Control module - BCM; and the Engine Control module - ECM. The NATS antenna for my car is listed under part number 28590-C9968 and is touted to be the part of this system with the highest failure rate (other than damage to the key). It appears the NATS antenna can fail gradually over time which explains the intermittent highly frustrating non-start problem. I can buy a replacement antenna online and the replacement procedure looks fairly straightforward.

Here's my question. If I disconnect the battery and change the NATS antenna - do I have to take it to the dealer to reprogram my (2) original ignition keys?? I did see where the Remove & Installation instructions indicated that if a NATS antenna is replaced with new, then "initilization" is not necessary. Frankly I'm not sure what "initialization" means in this case. I want to avoid a case where I change the antenna and immediately can't start my car at all. I can't find one article online with this answer.

If I understand the purpose of the NATS antenna it energizes an electromagnetic field when the ignition key is put in the ignition, which prompts the key to release a binary code. This binary code is then read by the car's ECM. If determined to be a valid code, the ECM will activate the fuel-injection system and allow the car to fire up. I see where changing the BCM or ECM would require a dealer to re-program the keys and bring the system back within specs.

Logically speaking I would not think changing the NATS antenna would require dealer intervention. Has anyone changed their NATs antenna and not had to have their keys re-programmed?? Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)

Is your car an automatic or a manual?

Manuals have a clutch safety switch that requires the clutch pedal to be depressed before the car will start. They do go bad. It happened to my coupe. There is a way to jump the switch to test for a bad switch.

If you have an automatic, I'm not sure what to tell you other than to first try disconnecting the battery overnight to reset the ECU.

'06 Autumn Copper FX35, '11 Alpine White Sentra & 2016 Red Hot Camaro 2SS
post #3 of 4 Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

My '05 G35 is a manual. Forgot to mention previously that I discovered an engine code P1615 for "Difference of Key" during my intermittent won't start issue. That started my investigation into the NATS system and likely faults.

Understand your comment about the clutch switch. Thank you but not my issue here.

Still looking for someone who has changed out their NATS antenna for feedback on whether they had to reprogram their keys once it was changed.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-28-2014, 01:11 AM
0-24 Posts

Hi

I am experiencing the very same thing you did, i also think its just the antennae that has died. Did you fix your problem, if so did you have to just change the antennae and not have to re-code the keys etc etc. Any help would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Sedan 2003-06