Under Engine Cover - Replacement - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
25-99 Posts
 
DrEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Under Engine Cover - Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I apologize in advance as this question has been asked before (I know it has as I searched the discussion board) but no one has answered the specific question I am about to ask and others have asked.

The under engine cover which connect to the front underside of the car (which protects the engine), is it connected directly to the bumper or is there another piece between the bumped and the under engine cover. The reason I ask is because the under engine cover was pulled off (due to one of those stupid parking spot concrete things) and tore the bolts through the other plastic holes which the under engine cover aligns with and connect to. I know some have used cords to hold the under engine cover to the rest of the car but I am interested in a real fix if possible without replacing the actual bumper as it is in good shape and have no reason to replace it unless the under cover connects to it directly... even then i will not replace the bumper for that...

Thanks
Eddie
DrEddie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Over 100 Posts
 
Manual4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Default

If I recall correctly from the last time I changed oil, the bolts thread into a metal strip that's fastened to the inside of the bumper. I'd start by looking for a replacement for that part.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Manual4Ever is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Over 10,000 Posts
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
bachman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 15,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEddie View Post
Hello Everyone,

I apologize in advance as this question has been asked before (I know it has as I searched the discussion board) but no one has answered the specific question I am about to ask and others have asked.

The under engine cover which connect to the front underside of the car (which protects the engine), is it connected directly to the bumper or is there another piece between the bumped and the under engine cover. The reason I ask is because the under engine cover was pulled off (due to one of those stupid parking spot concrete things) and tore the bolts through the other plastic holes which the under engine cover aligns with and connect to. I know some have used cords to hold the under engine cover to the rest of the car but I am interested in a real fix if possible without replacing the actual bumper as it is in good shape and have no reason to replace it unless the under cover connects to it directly... even then i will not replace the bumper for that...

Thanks
Eddie
This link will get to a variety of exploded view parts. Each view has a related detail page I believe. Once you see or print the parts view, even if you find the part # or name, I"ll bet a dealership shop book can match it up to ref it.

'04 G35 6MT, DG Coupe, Prem/Nav, purchased 06/2011 @97k mi / 119,650 as of 07.06.16
bachman is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Gilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 53,445
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Default

The splash shield as I think its called is connected to the bumper cover. I have known people to remove the splash shield but I think it adds some rigidity to the bumper cover.

'06 Autumn Copper FX35, '11 Alpine White Sentra & 2016 Red Hot Camaro 2SS
Gilley is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Over 10,000 Posts
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
bachman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 15,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Default

I know that part you mean and even if one isn't in high rain areas where it's probably advisable to have it in place, it seems like a pretty simple bracing could be attached.

I have no idea why the link did not post the other day but the views this shows may include the part and show it's relationship to others.

https://www.google.com/search?q=g37+...0QsAQIGQ&dpr=1


This link will get to a variety of exploded view parts. Each view has a related detail page I believe. Once you see or print the parts view, even if you find the part # or name, I"ll bet a dealership shop book can match it up to ref it.

'04 G35 6MT, DG Coupe, Prem/Nav, purchased 06/2011 @97k mi / 119,650 as of 07.06.16

Last edited by bachman; 01-20-2017 at 03:40 PM.
bachman is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Over 10,000 Posts
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
bachman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 15,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Default

Maybe this --

74813N - COVERFLOOR UNDER,LH Part Number: 74815-JK000

http://www.jp-carparts.com/images/ni...747A%20004.gif

'04 G35 6MT, DG Coupe, Prem/Nav, purchased 06/2011 @97k mi / 119,650 as of 07.06.16
bachman is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 02-06-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
25-99 Posts
 
DrEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

an update. I took it to a local shop which I usually go to here in Baltimore (Leading Edge Auto Body) and they were so nice and fixed it in 10 minutes and did not charge me anything. I have not looked to see what they did, but whatever they did fixed the problem. If you live in Baltimore, I highly recommend this shop. Very nice folks and are honest as far as I can tell.
DrEddie is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default

The fix was probably pushing in a few clips to hold up the lower splash shield, when the car is serviced they need to remove that cover to do the oil change and sometimes they get in a hurry and fail to reinstall them properly or they brake and they don't replace them. great shop for doing it for free..
racerx1986 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 02-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Gilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 53,445
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Default

That was nice of the shop to fix it for free.

'06 Autumn Copper FX35, '11 Alpine White Sentra & 2016 Red Hot Camaro 2SS
Gilley is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 AM
Over 10,000 Posts
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
bachman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 15,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEddie View Post
an update. I took it to a local shop which I usually go to here in Baltimore (Leading Edge Auto Body) and they were so nice and fixed it in 10 minutes and did not charge me anything. I have not looked to see what they did, but whatever they did fixed the problem. If you live in Baltimore, I highly recommend this shop. Very nice folks and are honest as far as I can tell.
Did you ever nail down the part # ?
It would be handy to know if you can post it, price and source too!

thnx

'04 G35 6MT, DG Coupe, Prem/Nav, purchased 06/2011 @97k mi / 119,650 as of 07.06.16
bachman is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachman View Post
Did you ever nail down the part # ?
It would be handy to know if you can post it, price and source too!

thnx
I was doing some search on it. I was able to find this part https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...815-jk000.html It might be it perhaps. The OEM part number is 74815JK000
TurboRev is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Over 100 Posts
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Default

I just had mine removed. That thing got damaged because some kid at a tire shop rammed my car into the stopper thing in a parking lot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VVladislav is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve cover gasket replacement gone bad! wpratts G35 Coupe 4 10-27-2016 06:43 PM
Problem after valve cover gasket replacement? wildpig G35 Coupe 6 04-06-2016 01:41 PM
2003 G35 Sedan Rear Bumper Cover Replacement Paul DeFay G35 Sedan 2003-06 2 08-14-2011 07:07 PM
Engine Cover cruisingGcoupe G35 Coupe 17 07-31-2009 12:09 AM
engine cover Mr.2U G35 Sedan 2003-06 3 10-17-2005 09:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome