Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

left rear suspension repaired. Now getting different opinions about alignment? Help!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bachman 
#1 ·
Short story: car spun in the rain. left rear tire smacked the curb around a curve on highway. rear left suspension was damaged. Control arms were replaced by the body shop (Sunbeam recommended by Geico) and alignment was done. They then released the car to me.

Took it to the highway and there was clear stability issue when changing lanes. Took it to an infiniti dealer shop and they were nice enough to put it up and check it out without charge. Told me that the left rear was completely out of spec. Basically sunbeam did a half ass job instead of completely repair it and then they appeared to force the suspension into an extreme setting and make it half ass work. Car seems to drive ok straight but as soon as you do lane change definitely unstable. Anyway, after I got the new alignment spec sheet from the dealer shop I drove the car back to sunbeam and demanded they fix it correctly. They called the infiniti dealer shop back and asked what else it could be and the infiniti dealer said could be the knuckle. So that was replaced. Then they released the car back and said fixed.

Well, can't blame me for not trusting sunbeam. The car did appear more stable.. But I took it back to the infiniti dealer shop just to make sure. They again very graciously put it up pro bono. Came back and told me alignment is still very out of spec esp the left rear but improved. They said it's possible that all it might need now is just a correct alignment but if it's something else damaged then I would still need to bring to body shop. They then recommend another body shop that they say they use all the time and authorized to do work on infiniti.

So brought my car there. That body shop put it up and told me alignment is fine. I asked them how is it possible you say it's fine but the infiniti dealer shop that recommended you says it's not. And they just basically like stonewall say we don't care/ know what they say, as far as we're concerned, it's good. I asked them to call the infiniti shop and they say that I have to deal with this discrepancy myself and that since they determined that my alignment is fine, geico won't pay for the diag fee or anything else meaning I have to pay for this fee.

So what the F should I do now? I just want to get my car fixed correctly. I called the dealer and they swear they are right and said I should get them to do the alignment. On the other hand, this other shop says alignment is good with nothing needed (and of course Geico is like stonewalling also with this body shop saying they are not paying for anything else anymore bc everything is good and that I would have to pay for the alignment performed by the infiniti dealer.....

Please help me!!! I just want to get my G fixed properly :( Is that too much to ask?

Here's the spec sheet produced by the infiniti shop the first time around after sunbeam released the car to me and before replacing the knuckle. I am so pissed that they would try to deceive me like that!!! And the fact that they did went back to call up and ask the infiniti shop advice and then replacing the knuckle showing that they admit they didn't know what they were doing.

After knuckle replaced, the left rear toe number was -0.40 so still out of spec..

HELP....What should I do? who should I trust? Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would request that a geico rep accompany you to the infiniti dealer to witness their report and statement. Just tell them the car has to meet spec with an infiniti dealer and then you are happy ! ... not some random indep body shop that apparently cuts corners and tries to make more profit.

I guarantee you if that car of yours gets on wet pavement or slick roads EVER, that 'lane change episode' is only the warning, you could really crack that car up and yourself. My dad had a Vette that had issues like that and it was completely undrivable in the snow .

It's unstable on dry roads now for gosh sakes !! ... and Gieco will have a lot more to answer for if they are holding back from getting it fixed SO it's SAFE ** use those words.
[/B]

#3 ·
Thanks. appreciated your comments. yeah, this is not a cosmetic issue. It's actually very much a safety issue and I do have a feeling geico is also pinching penny and doing cost cutting by minimizing repairs as much as they can...

I do feel like I want to trust the infiniti shop over these other two body shops. Problem is that geico is putting the onus on me to prove that additional alignment or repair is needed. Which means I have to pay out of my pocket first and they would only pay if someone says that this alignment issue is related to damage from accident. I can't believe that I have to pay for diagnostic alignment cost right now when the car is supposed to be already in alignment. Anyone knows what I should say to geico to get them to cover the cost of diagnostic alignment?

#5 ·
Gilley is a good resouce for this type of thing and advice as he is in the business so he knows both sides.

It sounds like Infiniti did what Geico is asking for and just needs to get in the loop of comm with your agent or that overseer. That can be in writing by way of their estimate to fix what is wrong or further inspection to that end.

Sometimes there is hidden damage and especially so within a car frame or intricate suspension parts so it can easily be overlooked. Try to word things so you don't sound overly critical of the shop and allow some tone of understanding but hold firm to the issue of that car not feeling safe and Infinti already backing up the concern you have. You have every right to gripe about the time and miles and any additional costs that Geico has you running out of pocket and I'd let them know you are keeping that accounting for future ref or to recoup. They should not expect you to do any $ out of pocket but may say you need to cover some time and miles that could = 2 or 3 body shop visits / estimates.
Geico is on the hook to have that car fixed properly and to be safe, short of that, it's their car to buyout from you. It won't hurt to give them that option and maybe that will wake them up. >:D

#4 ·
Does Geico warrant the work provided by their network shop? If so go to the shop and let them know there are stability issues. The shop will likely need to get their Geico shop administrator involved to resolve the stability issue. Maybe go on a drive with the shop to show them. The shop will need to issue a supplement estimate for Geico to do any repairs. Get the Geico shop overseer involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.