Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

HELP. RF wheel vibration/noise

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  tmp 
#1 ·
04 6mt with 135000 km. symptoms, vibration and noise coming from the right front. its there when going straight and more prominent when turning left. completely goes away when turning right. loudest between 60-80kmh but still there at lower or higher speeds. even slight left makes it louder

obvious things would be wheel bearing and tires. its there with two sets of tires and rotated tires and still only there in the right front. changed the wheel bearing 3 times. first two aftermarket, 3rd OEM. put the original wheel bearing on the left front and did not create any problem there. changed the right rear wheel bearing, still no change...

been to the infinity dealer (who sold me the OEM bearing) who was sure its the bearing. probably lazy.. been to a generic mechanic who said it was a bearing...

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE??? steering rack??? lots of similar posts that point to bearings or tires but I think Ive ruled them out...

#3 ·
Could be silly to even mention but when they did the alignment did you have them also balance the wheels? They could have knocked a weight off when they were working on the bearing

#4 ·
thanks for the suggestion I hadn't thought about a balance problem as the noise goes away when turning right (unloading the right front). I thought tires but two sets (winters and summers) do the same thing. also rotated the front tires and the noise/vibration continues on the right front only.

everything that would make sense its not... could something be bent putting more load on the bearing that an alignment wouldn't pick up? Im at the point that if I could sell the car as is I would cause I cant figure this out and these lazy mechanics are just telling me it the bearing. if it is it's something else causing immediate problems with the bearing...
\
any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

#5 · (Edited)
*Just out of curiosity. Is it the same shop installing the wheel bearing over and over? * (would you consider letting a different shop replace it?)
Because the fact that it does it in a straight line rules out ball joints or control arms or anything else i can think of imo which ultimately points to...im sorry to say but...wheel bearings again.

*Im wondering if whoever is installing them for you could be damaging them putting them in.*

If the rim was warped or the balance is off on a tire, you would get a vibration around 50 to 60mph but you have tried two sets of rims sooo...unless both sets have issues (which is possible i guess)... id guess at early signs of a damaged wheel bearing.

Some low end/ inexperienced mechanics can be abit rough with putting a wheel bearing in and may be doing a jeremy clarkson inspired hammer technique with abit of rage on the side lol (lame attempt to be funny)

Just my 2 cents. Hope you can resolve it and goodluck!

#6 ·
not sure if the same rule applies to mechanics as it does lawyers, but, I'm doing the work. I had it in for an alignment just before doing the second bearing. I gave up having mechanics I know and myself trying to diagnose this and took it to the infinity dealer just to diagnose. tried telling him them it wasn't the bearing. its only a couple bolts and very easy. once the corrosion is removed it slides right in so no damaging the bearing upon install. actually, the OEM slid in a bit easier then the aftermarket but both were relatively easy.

and I know, bearing, its the only thing that makes sense to me which is causing all the frustration....

#11 ·
me too. that's what has me baffled. while doing my brakes (got a good deal, not changed cause I thought it was related) I put the original right front on the left and no noise on the left which tells me the right front was fine.

mechanic gave me some bull about different load which makes no sense as its reversed so the same load would be there except turning right rather than left.

#12 ·
I'd still change them both. With similar miles and driving conditions the other may be ready to go too. Or maybe that's the one you hear.

There is something to what the mechanic said about a different load, which is why the noise changes when turning one way vs the other way.

The noise you could be hearing may also be feathered tires but it's hard to tell front you description.

#15 ·
not yet... thanks for asking. the dealer is trying to tell me its the left front now but the noise was unchanged with the right front bearing. they are saying it was both. planning on putting the right front I took out of the right and put it on the left to see what happens, I have a hard time paying another 300 just to see.

I'll update to see if there is even a slight difference in the noise.

thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.