post #1 of 14 Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Bose rear speaker problems

Hi all,

I have a 2005 G35 coupe with the premium and sports packages, including the Bose system.

I've had the car for 1 1/2 years now and completely love it and have had zero issues until now.

The rear speakers of the stereo suddenly sound like they are blown. This occurred without warning and still happens when I tweak the balance to the right or left. Because of that, I don't think the issue is with the speakers themselves, but some other issue with the amp, HU, or wiring.

I can use the fade to only power the front speakers, but it obviously sounds like crap.

Has anyone else had this issue?

BTW, no need to mention how bad the Bose system sucks. I actually like it, and have no plans to replace it, just get it fixed. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)

When you say rear speakers, do you mean the ones on the rear shelf or the ones in the rear side panels? I assume the rear shelf 6x9s.

'06 Autumn Copper FX35, '11 Alpine White Sentra & 2016 Red Hot Camaro 2SS
post #3 of 14 Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley View Post
When you say rear speakers, do you mean the ones on the rear shelf or the ones in the rear side panels? I assume the rear shelf 6x9s.
Definitely the rear 6x9's are problematic, although the side panel speakers may also have issues. Never been back there, too small

If there is an easy way to test, let me know.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Over 1,000 Posts

Quoted: 80 Post(s)

I feel your pain bro. I wrecked my car and some payed attention to the 350GT badging, not the issue at hand. We all know the Bose system sucks, you're in need of answers not judgemental comments about the system itself. Most people are cool here, so you should be all right.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 01:14 AM
Over 1,000 Posts

I'm sure Gilley can help you out.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Over 10,000 Posts

Quoted: 285 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbacker View Post
Definitely the rear 6x9's are problematic, although the side panel speakers may also have issues. Never been back there, too small

If there is an easy way to test, let me know.
When you say test them, I assume you mean to rule out what speaker/s are bad but I'm also thinking you want to rule out the Bose amp as the culprit- just in case.

I can imagine it possible a distorted or garbled output could be the amp itself -just an idea to look out for while you are troubleshooting.

'04 G35 6MT, DG Coupe, Prem/Nav, purchased 06/2011 @97k mi / 119,650 as of 07.06.16
post #7 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Super Duper Moderator

The 6x9 speakers are low frequency bass only. The Bose amp takes the 4 channel (front / rear / left / right) and splits off the low frequencies to the 6x9s. The fader controls the 6x9s which is why the distortion goes away when you move it to the front.

The problem could be the speakers or it could be the amp. It's going to take some testing to figure out which one is causing the problem. You could disconnect the Bose speakers cond connect the wire leads to another set of speakers to see if the distortion is still there.

The 6x9s are 2 ohm. If you replace them you don't need to buy anything fancy like 2 or 3 way speakers. Only low bass will be sent to them so the tweeters are useless. Also the 6x9s are a process to remove.

The amps have been known to fail so it may not be the 6x9s. If you find the amp is to blame it is easily replaced. If you need an amp I have a Bose amp from my 04 G coupe that should be a direct replacement.

post #8 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Over 1,000 Posts

Gilley is right. Removal of the 6x9 are a process. If you could rule them out without having to do so, it would be great. I'm pretty good with cars and I had to remove the back rear side panels next to the rear deck AND the rear deck to get to the bolts that hold in the 6x9s. The real problem was it never went back together right. Good luck.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Did you ever figure out if the problem was the 6x9s or the amp?

post #10 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Gilley and everyone else that has replied, thank you!

I have a buddy that (can fit in the back) will assist me with some testing this weekend. I'll take a look at the amp as well to see if there is anything obvious there causing the problem.

I REALLY hope the issue isn't with the 6x9's, it sounds like a nightmare to get them out and put back together.

I'll update this thread shortly.

Quick question:
If the amp channels that power the back 6x9's are out, is it plausible that enough power from the head unit is still making its way through the amp and back to them to provide some sound with crappy distortion?
post #11 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Super Duper Moderator

The audio signal from the head unit is low level. It is not strong enough to power the speakers. That's where the amp comes into play.

Btw, if you do already know, the Bose amp is under the plastic false trunk floor on the left side hanging underneath a bracket.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-29-2013, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Update:
The rear 6x9's both came back on for no apparent reason when I was trying to troubleshoot the issue. A couple of days later, they were out again.

I finally dug into the trunk to investigate it and it appears that the previous owner (I'm the 2nd owner) had a different amp in there at some point. The wiring harness had obviously been torn apart and spliced back together, well at least part of it. There were also a few missing bolts on the bracket that holds the amp in place.

Ugh. It looks like I'll need to do some rewiring. If that doesn't fix it, I'll update this thread. Thanks for your help.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Over 1,000 Posts

The guy I'm buying my new G from disconnected the 6x9 and put a line converter in and amp to power the sub (12 inch) with an adjustable low level control. Using the inside Bose speakers (4), with the sub (replacing the 2 6x9s for low tones) it sounded pretty good. If the amp is not bad, this may be a cheaper alternative than replacing the whole system, while getting much better sound.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM
25-99 Posts

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot6mt View Post
The guy I'm buying my new G from disconnected the 6x9 and put a line converter in and amp to power the sub (12 inch) with an adjustable low level control. Using the inside Bose speakers (4), with the sub (replacing the 2 6x9s for low tones) it sounded pretty good. If the amp is not bad, this may be a cheaper alternative than replacing the whole system, while getting much better sound.
Thats the easiest and cheapest way to go, but you already have everything else done . All you need is a line out converter( I would use a high quality one) then add a remote turn on relay to turn on the amp only when the ignition is on. Personally what I would do is do the above throw an amp with a cheap 12" and it call it a day, but it would actually get more expensive than buying a bose amp and rear speakers.

To the OP I have original bose amp off of the G35 im parting out and the bose subs if you are interested in them. I would give them to you at a pretty good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe