Clutch making noise when shutting off engine - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post 1 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
0-24 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Clutch making noise when shutting off engine

Hi... I have an 06 G35 6MT with 59,000 miles... A couple weeks ago I noticed the following... The car starts and drives just fine... Shifting gears works the same as it always has... Everything is fine until the moment when you shut it off (in neutral and with the clutch pedal out). If you do that, at the very end of the engine shutdown you hear what I would call a rattle that last not more than a second... But it's clearly noticeable and clearly different than it used to be...

Since I still have 4 months and 11,000 miles of power train warranty left I took it down to my Infiniti dealer today to let them listen to it... They brought out one of their mechanics... He could clearly hear the noise and he told me it was almost certainly a bit of normal wear that has now become noticeable and is the sound of the "dual clutch" chattering a bit as the engine/transmission comes to a halt...

I am ignorant of manual transmission clutches (or clutches in general) other than I know how and when to push pedals and shift gears... It's not an ominous sounding noise... It's just new and like I said, I'd like to know whether I have a problem that needs to be dealt with before the warranty runs out...

Can anyone share thoughts on what this might be??? Normal??? Something maybe about to fail??? I have an appointment to drop the car off at Infiniti this Thursday just to have them do a maintenance item (change coolant called for at 60k miles) and to give this a further look back in their maintenance bay...

But they told me to change the coolant costs $180... Can anyone tell me why it is sooooo expensive to drop and replace the coolant??? I might drop the entire appointment if anyone hear tells me the rattle is likely normal... Again, imagine a normal shutdown of the engine and then a rattle that goes on say one second longer than the sound of the engine shutting down... And again, it only happens if the car is running in neutral with the clutch pedal out...

Any thoughts??? And any idea why coolant change out should cost $180??? Any help would be much appreciated... thanks.. bob...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post 2 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)

I don't know about the rattle but the fluid flush costs $180 because it is being done by the dealer at a high hourly labor rate. You can get that done at a nother shop, but make sure they know how to burp the air out of the system with the air bleeder valve near the battery. It is not difficult to do.

'03.5 Caribbean Blue 5at Sedan & '06 Autumn Copper FX35
post 3 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 AM
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Do you think the coolant really needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles?? The coolant looks as clean as it did the day the car was new... I know the manual says to change it at 60k but it says a lot of things... If I recall on my last car (honda) I don't think I ever changed the coolant and it was still running just fine at 147,000 miles... thanks... bob...
post 4 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Only the Premium maintenance schedule recommends flushing the coolant at 60k.

Infiniti Maintenance Schedules

'03.5 Caribbean Blue 5at Sedan & '06 Autumn Copper FX35
post 5 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Over 1,000 Posts

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

G37 Coupe here and it has done it before and after a new clutch/transmission install. I say ignore it.
post 6 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Thanks... I appreciate the feedback... I also placed this same question on another forum I post on sometimes and I got similar responses... I am going to have them at least write it up when I take it in (I am going to go ahead and let them replace the coolant) so I might have something to fall back on warranty wise if the tranny blows up or something... But others said the same thing, that the dual mass flywheel and clutch arrangement makes noise...

thanks for the help... bob...
post 7 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
25-99 Posts

I have an 06 g35 6mt and my dad had an 08 g37s...they both make a rattle when you shut the car off. My g has 44xxx miles and my dad's has 36xxx miles, so they don't have high miles. I would ignore it. If you want, take your car to another shop for a second opinion. Try to take your car to a shop specializing in imports (mainly Nissan). The dealerships are called stealerships for a reason.

06 Lakeshore Slate 6mt, CAI, 5/16 plenum spacer, MREV2, ART pipes, HR Y-pipe, G37 mid-pipe, Tanabe mufflers, Osiris Dyno Tuned, Wilwood BBK, JDM grill
post 8 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 AM
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluecar View Post
I have an 06 g35 6mt and my dad had an 08 g37s...they both make a rattle when you shut the car off. My g has 44xxx miles and my dad's has 36xxx miles, so they don't have high miles. I would ignore it. If you want, take your car to another shop for a second opinion. Try to take your car to a shop specializing in imports (mainly Nissan). The dealerships are called stealerships for a reason.
Sounds like this rattle is widespread... Thanks for taking the time to get back to me... Much appreciated.... bob...
post 9 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Over 100 Posts

I also have an 06 G35 coupe with 65,000 miles on it now and I am experiencing the same noise that you do when shutting down the car. I believe what the mechanic told you is correct. The clutch rattles when you shut the car off. I was also concerned with this noise at first but was later told by my dealership that this is a normal sound. Now, I just shut the car of with the clutch pedal in, this should get rid of the noise :P

2006 G35C Black 6MT w/ Premium, Aero and Sport Package. Injen CAI.
post 10 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
0-24 Posts

I also have an 06 6MT and have the same noise. It hasn't gotten worse since I got the car and from the research I've done, the clutches on these cars just have a tendency to make some noise. I've also read a few posts saying that it could possibly be the throw-out bearing but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Good luck with it though and let us know if you ever get a definitive answer.
post 11 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
0-24 Posts

(Thread Starter)

will do... I am going to take it in next week to get the coolant changed and I am mainly going to ask them to document it in case that might matter later... I agree that if you just be sure to shut the car off with the clutch pedal depressed, you never hear the rattle...

thanks for all the good feedback... Much appreciated... bob...
post 12 of 19 Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 AM
25-99 Posts

same rattle here on an 04 g35 6mt lol...73k miles
post 13 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
25-99 Posts

I have the same rattle on my 05 g35 6mt with a motor with only 5k miles and a new clutch and flywheel. My old engine and flywheel didn't make this sound. New stuff does. Not sure how this is helpful just my input.
post 14 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Over 100 Posts

I don't think $180 for coolant change at a dealer is bad. Just pulling the plug on the radiator doesn't drain it. The thermostat holds coolant in the motor & plugs in the block have to be taken out to drain it. Then I would do a flush. On our Alum blocks & heads this is filling up with water, running it with the heater on until the themostat opens. Then you cool & drain. It takes about 3 or 4 times to get clean water when you drain. When refilling you have to go through the process with the bleed valve about 3 times to get the air out.

Even if you have something else to do during the cool offs, you will spend a couple of hours time.

Wife has 2007 G35 Coupe 6MT, Liquid Platinum,XM,Premium Pkg, Aero
Some of our other interesting rides
924 turbo, worn out, now a project, 914,
'66 BB Chevelle RIP
post 15 of 19 Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
25-99 Posts

I have a 2006 G35 coupe MT too and noticed that noise from early on (bought the car with 6 miles new from the dealer) I have about 110000 on the car now and over 6 years later and no problems. I noticed it when the clutch was not engaged but goes away once the clutch is pressed in. I do not think it is a big deal just a thing in the car but not related to fuel flush as it did not go away even though having flushed every 30K miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe