Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

Help identifying an engine noise

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  megakwood 
#1 · (Edited)
Help identifying an engine noise?

Hey guys,

I'm having an engine noise that I can't identify. Any help would be much appreciated! It happens intermittently in the lower RPMs of gears 2-4. I'm going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow, but it's intermittent and I am at a loss for how to describe the sound. I also heard it once on a passing G35 so I figure someone out here might know more about it.

It is very quiet in this video, but you can definitely hear it with headphones. Listen as I'm accelerating in 2nd gear.

Here are some loops of the sound: Loop 1, Loop 2

How would you describe that sound? Is it an engine rattle? Any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It's a 2005 G35 6MT, 45K miles. No mods, all stock.

See less See more
#4 ·
No mods, all stock. Thanks for asking, I should have mentioned that.

Here is another video with more of the noise. I couldn't hear it well on my laptop speakers, but you can definitely hear it with better speakers or headphones.

#5 ·
well if its only in gears 2-4, my assumption would be a drivetrain issue, not an engine issue... which is probably a good thing.. cheaper replacement.....those are your most used gears so it makes sense for something to go wrong in them first.... probably syncros.. was the previous owner a female? lol.... theres an updated tranny that fixes the soft syncros. i forget the part # though

#6 ·
Well I took it in to a mechanic and he test drove it but couldn't hear it. I realize it's kind of difficult to describe the sound if you're not familiar with the normal engine sounds of the G35.
Anyone know a way to describe this sound? The best way I can describe it is 'the sound your engine makes when you're going up hill in the wrong gear'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.