Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

Engine Noise - please help

12K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Gilley 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. A week ago I bought a 2007 G35 6MT with 70,000km's on it. They did an oil change the day before I picked it up. It drives great but today I noticed my engine doesn't sound right. I popped the hood and started the car. It has a diesel engine like sound to it that seems to go with the RPM's. My other G35 (2003 sedan 5AT) doesn't sound like this at all.

Does anyone else notice this or do you think it's a problem? Could it be bad oil? Wrong gas? I put 89 octane in it.

Thanks

#2 ·
It sounds like a problem. is there oil in the motor? There could be an oil consumption issue.

You car should still be under the powertrain warranty so have the dealer look at it under warranty.

#3 ·
I had an oil change (so they say) about a week ago. I just checked it and it appears to have oil in it. I drove it like an hour and half ago and it's still very hot, but that could be normal. I don't know much when it comes to under the hood. There's no Infiniti dealer near me so I'll take it to Nissan in the morning.

#4 ·
Nissan can't do warranty work for you. They can check the problem but it won't be free under warranty. Since it's an engine problem, I would recommend you go to the nearest Infiniti dealer and have it checked out under the powertrain warranty. If you need a new motor, that's the only way you can get it replaced under warranty.

#6 ·
There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for the oil consumption issue. You can find it here somewhere. Knowledgebase - Service Bulletins - Infinitihelp.com Forums

Not having records of oil changes could cause issues with a warranty replacement. Maybe the prior owner had the oil changed at the dealer so there will be a record of it. You might also want to contact the dealer who sold you the car.

#12 ·
Everything is stock on the car. The noise is best heard while idling. It doesn't matter if it's in gear or not. I'm pretty sure the noise goes with the RPM's, but the engine noise overpowers it at higher RPM's so it's harder to hear.

I just listened to a cement mixer on Youtube and my car does somewhat sound like that.

#17 ·
It does kind of sound like that, but in the video it goes away when the clutch is depressed (or other way around). My car makes the same sound whether the clutch is depressed or not. I guess that means it's not the flywheel? I just want to know as much as possible when I bring my car in to get looked at.

#18 · (Edited)
Today when I returned home after driving it for about 30 minutes, I could hear a distinct ticking noise. About 4 or 5 ticks a second. Checked oil and it's good.

Also, if I rev it up to between 4 and 5k RPM and push the clutch in before shifting to the next gear, the engine revs steady for a few seconds instead of dropping RPM's. I noticed this shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. It makes shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear difficult if I'm trying to accelerate quick.

EDIT: I found my camera and uploaded a video of the engine noise:

#20 ·
I finally got the car into an Infiniti dealership. They are going to replace the timing chain and the chain guides under warranty. Hopefully that's it. Only had the car two weeks and it sucks to be without it for a week. I had to get my old G35 2003 sedan re-licensed in the meantime (what a hassle that was).

#23 ·
Hello guys, could be the knocking noise that he is finding, if the engine has been using 89 octane, it could have been experiancing a premature detonatation causing it to knock...?

#29 ·
My sedan and FX35 have a sticker that says something like "premium fuel recommended for best performance." My coupe had a sticker that said "premium fuel only." I don't know what the difference is. I use regular in the sedan and FX.

#32 ·
My coupe had a sticker that said "premium fuel only."
My coupe says the same. "Use 91 octane only". Also, user manual says something on the lines of "if you absolutely have to fill lower than 91 octane fuel, refill the tank with 91 octane as soon as possible.

This has scared me into using 91 always. Although I have heard a few people claim the same ECU logic - modern car ECUs can adjust to lower octane without any problem under daily use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.