User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post 1 of 15 Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Over 100 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default control-arm or bushings problem?

Hey guys,

I've done the search and I just wanted to get confirmation more than to start another thread so if i've missed another post on this...sorry about that.

When I took my car to the shop for an alignment since I just got tires on the G; the service tech pulled me over to the side and went to talk to the mechanic bc he told me that the control-arm was wearing and they could only align the car so much and the negative camber was going to start wearing it through, etc. He was pointing to the plastic on the lower control arm (at least I believed it was) and was telling me that they had started to wear out quite a bit and would need to be replaced. When I asked what they would charge, etc; he mentioned that it would be a $400 part and about 4hrs worth of work, etc...so around $800 and that would be only for one side.

Any help on this would be appreciated since I'm such a noob when it comes to repairs etc on cars.

Now to my question; is it possible that it's ONLY the bushings that are going out or would the whole control-arm have to be replaced? Since I was out of town and this was closer to their closing time; it's not like I was going to do it; they even told me to take it to another Nissan dealership when I got home and that I should look into this repair within the next 5k miles or so else it would begin to eat through my tires-so it's not like they were pushing me to do the repair with them. Based on that; their 'itnerest' wouldn't be making money off of me which got me thinking.

Anyway; I know these cars run a negative camber and such but both the service tech and the mechanic were like; it would need to be replaced out...so I go with the route of replacing out the control-arm; does this include the bushings as well? If I just need to replace out the bushings; should I go aftermarket with the poly bushings and would everyone recommend these over the OEM ones? If I do go the route of replacing out the part, would it be best just to take care of BOTH sides instead of just doing the one side they recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post 2 of 15 Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

First, unless you have installed aftermarket camber arms, there is no camber adjustment up front in the stock suspension. The built in negative camber will wear the insides of the tires more than the outsides.

Regarding the lower control arm bushings, it does appear that they go bad. I had one go out on my coupe a couple of years ago and I replaced the entire arm. The bushing comes with the arm. You'll need a hydraulic press and some kind of cup tool to remove and replace the bushing from the stock arm.

Now the other lower control arm needs the bushing replaced and I have one thqat went bad on my sedan.

You can get them for $175 each here. See #11. Infiniti Parts USA - Your #1 Source for Factory Infiniti Parts & Accessories coupe&year=2007&graphicID=F624050&callout=11&catal ogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

You can replace the arms yourself with a few basic tools. It takes about 30 minutes each, maybe less.

It does not appear that the price given to you by the shop is a good price. DIY and save.

'03.5 Caribbean Blue 5at Sedan & '06 Autumn Copper FX35
post 3 of 15 Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Gilley (as usual you come through).

The exact wording from the dealership was:
Found right side camber out - not adjustable poss right side upper and lower control arm bushings worn out.

If i look to replace one; that would only be one side...correct? If that is the case; should I look to go ahead and replace both of them to avoid the other side wearing out as well? Now (don't know the answer and get ready for another 'noob' question) but will replacing out the control arms and adding sways increase the handling...especially from the perspective of how the wheel feels. Hmm...let me better explain; when I drive my friend's BMW; the response and feel of the steering wheel when I'm turning is incredible compared to my car; could I get this same 'feel' by adding new bushings/control arms and adding sways for extra handling? Granted his BMW is 2years old while my car is 5yrs old, etc. Thanks again for the input. Appreciate it.
post 4 of 15 Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Just a FYI...they the mechanic added that the front right camber numbers:
actual: -1.5; before: -1.6 while the specified range is to be: -1.2 0.3

I believe this is why they were telling me about the bushings being worn, etc. Anyway; hope the info sheds more light on the this. Thanks again
post 5 of 15 Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Duper Moderator

I would just replace the one lower control arm unless the other is showing signs of wear that it may go too.

Sway bars are one of the best mods that you can actually tell makes a difference. They would help your car handle better.

That -1.5 camber is significant. There is no way to adjust that without installing adjustable clamber arms (also known as upper control arms).

post 6 of 15 Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Over 100 Posts

I just had new bushings installed on my G coupe last Friday. The car was making a metallic clanking noise everytime I hit or even drove on some sort of uneven road. My mechanic put the G on the lift and noticed the rear bushings were the problem. He placed them for $350 with labor and parts. He's a personally friend of the family so I trusted him.

Anyway, since then, the car rides smoothly and the nosie is gone. Does your car make any noise? Like metal hitting metal coming from the rear?
post 7 of 15 Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Over 10,000 Posts

^^^I know the sound. It's an annoying CLANK sound, like soft metal sort of twisting, and yeah I have the same bushing problem as well. Of course my personal mechanic says just ride it out for a little while until it gets really bad or I come up with nearly $300 to buy and install the thing.

So I'll replace it when I get more money (sigh) or charge it up when I absolutely have too. I mean I know it's just the bushing, but they don't sell the bushing by itself, you have to buy the entire lower control arm - wtf?

"The Road is better than the end." - Chuck Jones
Gammawolf - Made in America with Mexican Parts.
post 8 of 15 Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

My car does squeak some when I get in (no; I'm not too big for my car ) sometimes. Makes a screeching or metallic like noise from the chasis and from what I understand; that is also from the bushings and such. At first thought; maybe the noise I hear from hitting my breaks might be coming from that as well since my brakes are still good and such.

Well, anyway I think I'll be doing what Gamma said; holding out and saving for the repair etc or charging it if my back is against the wall, and it gets worse, etc.
post 9 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecioVato View Post
My car does squeak some when I get in (no; I'm not too big for my car ) sometimes. Makes a screeching or metallic like noise from the chasis and from what I understand; that is also from the bushings and such. At first thought; maybe the noise I hear from hitting my breaks might be coming from that as well since my brakes are still good and such.

Well, anyway I think I'll be doing what Gamma said; holding out and saving for the repair etc or charging it if my back is against the wall, and it gets worse, etc.
Is your problem in the front or rear?

post 10 of 15 Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

front or back....I'm not too sure; if i had to guess i would say the front.
post 11 of 15 Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Not trying to get this thread started again; but I was wondering if replacing all the bushings on my car would bring that 'more percise' handling that I feel with my friend's BMW? I really do believe the only things wearing out on the control arm is the bushings and not the arm itself. IF I'm correct; would looking at upgrading ALL the bushings (for the sake of getting it done) be wise?

I was leaning toward the Nismo bushings:
MyNismo.com - NISMO Hard Rubber Bushing Kit - 350Z/G35

It would be $400 for all 22 (upper and lower) so I was wondering what people's take with replacing out the bushings and if anyone had looked at replacing out ALL of them? If so, was it expensive and is this something that most shops can handle without to much difficulty? Thanks in advance again. LOTS of questions I know...LOL
post 12 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 01:58 AM
25-99 Posts

i think the labor will cost you a lot because they need more work than just replacing the arm. They to press out old bushing (sometimes it requires removing the part and use machine) and place in new bushing. anyway, i read somewhere that aftermarket polyurethane bushing will give you a better handling and harsh/very stiff rides. I think you can achieve the "bmw" ride quality by replacing with high performance shocks. my previous car had koni shocks and eibach spring, it was excellent.
post 13 of 15 Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Duper Moderator

I think you need a bmw to get that bmw driving experience.

post 14 of 15 Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
0-24 Posts

I'll revive this old thread since it's relevant.

I had to get my front rotors cut last weekend and I was told that my front inner lower control arm bushings were shot. It would explain the metal clanking sounds I heard when drving over bumps and such around 10mph. I was quoted $300 for a new LCA+bushing that would be only available from the dealer. I told the shop that I would pass and try to locate aftermarket bushings myself.

Anyway, I was able to locate a set of aftermarket bushings from Whiteline for $60 through a local retailer.

The same shop quoted the aftermarket part install for 1 hour of labor, each side. So about $260 total, parts and labor.
post 15 of 15 Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Super Duper Moderator

An hour a side is probably a little too much time but they do need to press them out and press in new ones . Make sure they have an hydraulic press.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe