2005 G35 Coupe Amp Install/Converter Kit, Help Please? - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
6MT.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Infiniti G35 Coupe / Sedan Infiniti G35

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe
Register Home Forum Active Topics / Realtime Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

6mt.net is the premier Infiniti Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
0-24 Posts

Default 2005 G35 Coupe Amp Install/Converter Kit, Help Please?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, and I just have a quick question for everyone that I'd really appreciate an answer to. I got my G35 coupe last summer and absolutely love it, but I wanted to add an aftermarket sub-woofer. I used to have an 06 Nissan Altima that I put an amp and two 12" subs in, but I had it all taken out when my lease was up on the car. I got a new sub-woofer to fit in the G35 trunk, but still have the same amp and amp converter cables from the original system. I have no problems hooking the sub up to the amp, but don't know how to install the amp in my G35, so I figured I'd take it to Best Buy. They say that the converter I have isn't long enough, and recommend I either buy their $80 "Kicker Amp Wire Kit 8 Gauge" or if I want to save money, buy one online although they claim that a cheaper one won't be as good as the one they sell. I feel like if the converter I had was long enough for the Altima (which is a bigger car than the G35 coupe), shouldn't it be fine to put in my Infiniti? Best buy wants $70 to install the amp, $40 to install the line output converter (which I'm sort of confused about), plus the cost of another amp converter kit which they claim I need.

Basically, are they just trying to scam me into buying a new kit from them, or do I actually need to buy a new Amp converter kit? If so, do you all have any recommendations as to where I should buy one, and if spending $80 to get the one they sell is worth the higher quality. Also, what line output converter and why am I being charged an extra fee for that install?

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it.
nshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
0-24 Posts

i am a little confused by what you mean by converter?? i assume you are meaning you r line out converter?? you can do a few searches and there are plenty of posts on how to do this, but ill help you out a bit here. technically a line out converter is even needed to be used because the signal coming out of the deck is already low level, or RCA signal, and you can just grab the rear speaker leads, on the input side of the amp which is under the panel on the driver side of the spare tire well. if they are saying your amp kit isnt long enough, you power wire run, then well you may need to buy a new one. be aware that cheap power wire kits have lower amount of wire and are usually at best copper coated not full copper. the amp kits they sell are fosgate and come with RCA's which i assume you already have. anyway the prices they are charging are pretty standard but i dont know if id take my car to best buy to have work done, for that price id find a reputable shop and go see them. I sell my power wire by the foot and usually can get a amp kit cheaper then 80 for 8 gauge even in a sedan or large SUV. hope that helps a little.
lethal_G_6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^ your post about low line level is only accurate with the Bose system. If the OP has a non-Bose system, it is speaker level from the back of the HU, which will need an LOC.

nshuman, what ausio system do you have in your car? That's the first thing I need to know.

Where is Best Buy trying to connect the LOC? Like lethat G said, you won't need it if you have the Bose system.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
0-24 Posts

our cars came without the bose system? is that like the few cars that came with cloth interior?? out of the dozens of g's, both sedan and coupe, i have not run into a non bose or cloth interior. i know your prolly right i just havnt heard of the no bose system.
lethal_G_6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

The non-Bose systems are out there moreso than the cloth covered seats.
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe