Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

G35 6 Speed Transmission Stuck In Gear??? Help!!

20K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Revo 
#1 ·
Ok, so heres the deal. I woke up saturday morning and my transmission was stuck in 6th gear. (It wont go in reverse or even come out of 6th slot. it drives in 6th gear) I cannot get it out and i have no idea what to do. Has anyone had this problem? I took it to my mechanic and i read online that it may be a neutral safty switch in the transmission so we pulled it out and tried to move the shifter out of gear but it didnt work, could that sensor be bad? Is that something that would lock my transmission in gear?

Has anyone had this problem on their 6mt g35? Please comment. I've searched everywhere and could find no info on this so im posting my first post about it on 6mt.net and hopefully i can find an answer!

#2 ·
Can i retro fit any 03-06 g35 my transmission into my 03 coupe

So i just asked another question about my car being stuck in 6th gear. And untill i have an answer i'm going to assume i have something pretty messed up in the trans and i need to replace it. But i cant find a 2003 Transmission anywhere. So i'm looking to put any 03-06 g35 or 350z trans in it. However I've called infiniti's national help desk with no definite answer about weather or not this will work, they just said theres a few different part numbers on the interchange and they dont know without physically comparing them if they will work. One mechanic at the Infiniti dealer did say however that its possible that it may work but he wasnt sure if the trans would electrically work together with the older car.

So to sum up. Would i have any problem swaping any 2003-2006 g35/350z 6spd mt into my 2003 and please only comment on this one if you know what your talking about. Mis-information would really hurt me in the position i'm in right now.

Thanks!

#4 ·
so when you are underneath the car and you disconnect the shifter linkage from the transmission you cant move the transmission shifter arm back and forth? If you haven't checked this then go under the car and take off the rubber boot and take out the bolt connecting the shifter to the arm then try and move it and look for any corrosion around the transmission shifter arm. If it doesn't move then get a new transmission. Don't get anything but the CD009 because thats the latest version transmission with extra syncos in the gears that need it and its more beefy than the earlier transmission models. The CD009 is for VQ35DE engines which includes both non-revup and revup models. I got it the cheapest (brand new) than anyone I know and i got it from the dealership. It cost me $1600. If you get that then you should be good. Just put transmission fluid in it then drive it around for about 500-1000 miles then change out the fluid again because its new gears (just like you would do for a new engine). Also if your shifter to transmission guide plate isn't aligned properly or worn/broken it can cause a lot of problems with your transmission when it comes to going into gear and getting out of gear. Let me know of any other questions. I enjoy helping.

#5 ·
Don't know about you but what idiot was trying to pitch to you that a manual transmission might have electrical compatibility issues? The only electrical crap on that entire transmission is the reverse light switch... (and if I recall it's actually part of the shifter, not the tranny).

As far as I know any MT from a 350z or G35 will work, and I've heard of people even using/getting warranty replaced with G37 transmissions too.

#9 ·
You can get it off the line in 6th (if you are at least on level ground or a decline) - you'll just fry the hell out of your clutch doing so. If there's any sort of uphill grade, forget it.

#11 ·
Before I got my clutch replaced I'd accidently put it in third at a stop light whenever I was too tired and it'd roast the clutch pretty bad.

I'm careful not to do that now.

#13 ·
You'd have to slip your clutch until about 30mph. Not pretty at all.

Not sure you'd be able to do it with a loaner - they are all ATs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.