Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

Camshaft position sensor (location?)

124K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Gilley 
#1 ·
Ran diagnostics bc "service engine soon" ", "slip" and "VDC Off" lights were on. Came up with Trouble code P0340 which means there is a problem with the camshaft position sensor. There was a recall on most 03 coupe's but ironically mine missed the recall dates by about a week. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with replacing the camshaft position sensor. The sensor is only 60 bucks, but naturally the dealship wants 350 to repair, and my local repair shop is asking 200.

SPECIFICALLY- where is the sensor located? is this a manageable job? I think there may be information in the Engine Control chapter of the Service Manual, so I may have to check that out.

The recall language calls for replacement of the camshaft sensor and possibly the crankshaft sensor (if the camshaft doesn't work).

Thanks- any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
If you're THAT close to the recall dates I would roll the dice and try a couple of dealerships to see if you can get a compassionate servcie writer. I mean, its not just a coincedence you're having the same problem those cars built a week before yours are having !

I had an '03 altima with a crankshaft angle sensor failure that was fixed under recall. It wasn't an EARLY 2003 as the recall language read but they did it for free anyway because failure of those sensors is so dangerous (caused the car to shut down at highway speeds).

That being said I don't know the specifics on your camshaft sensor but usually sensors are pretty accessible and required only a few bolts and a wireharness to be removed/reinstalled.

Good luck ! And if I run across something more helpful to you I'll post it here.

#3 ·
If you're THAT close to the recall dates I would roll the dice and try a couple of dealerships to see if you can get a compassionate servcie writer. I mean, its not just a coincedence you're having the same problem those cars built a week before yours are having !
word i agree with you on this. since its only by a week you should be able to get this fixed. '' you was on a week vacation came back car is showing you these sensors '' try dealing with the main office if anything. but im sure you will find someone in the dealership who will reason with you about this and help you. good luck to you

#5 ·
The crank sensor is right below under the car, oil pan area. It's right between the engine and transmission. it's inserted slightly towards the drivers side, it's best to lift the car unless your a contortinist and squeeze between the ground and the car. I provided a diagram to give you an idea of the locations of the sensors. #23731T is the Crank Sensor, the other two are the Cam Sensors.

Attachments

#7 ·
Same issue

Hi Cooker35,

Would you happen to know which sensor they replaced? Was it the one on the Driver side (with angle) or Passenger side (straight).

I have the exact same symptoms with my 2003 G35C and I also got the same code with a scanner. I know where the two top cam pos sensors are and I can reach them but I have no idea which one is not working. Any info would help a great deal as Ive been trying to tackle this issue for a few weeks now. Ofcourse dealer will not help b/c they lose out on me doing it myself.

Since dealer will not take back any electrical parts I dont want to be out $200+ buying the sensors from dealer and discover in the end that its actually the cranksahft sensor (under the car per Thegman) with the issue.

Thanks

#8 ·
P340 is the code for the sensor on the rear of the passenger side cylinder head. I replaced mine a month ago in my sedan. The part is about $73. It takes less than 20 minutes. Most of that time is getting the clip off of the sensor. You will need to clear the code with the code reader after it is replaced.

#10 ·
There is a big wire harness back there. I found it easier to unclip that harness to make more room for my fingers to work and for the tool to get to the one 10mm bolt. Most of the time it took me to perform the repair was spent figuring out how to remove the clip from the sensor (the clip is a slider typre that pushes in from the back of the car to the front) and getting the large harness clipped back in place.

#11 ·
Thanks. I replaced the bank 1 camshaft position sensor last night. The car sounds a lot better, starts up better and the engine doesn’t feel as heavy when driving. The service engine soon light was still on for a few days.

I just wanted to share exactly what was going on with the car and some of the symptoms. Hopefully it will help anyone that has this issue.

Vehicle: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Engine: 3.5L V6
Issue: Camshaft Position Sensor

Initial Problem:
One morning I got into my car and noticed that the light above the passenger seat was on. Of course I was upset because it meant that the light was on for at least 2 whole days and I was expecting the battery to be dead. The car started up fine, so I’m not sure if the light has anything to do with the issue. So after driving for about 5 minutes the car completely shut off. It was basically a moving parked car!!! The steering wheel locked so it was really hard to pull over. Thank God I was on a local street. I didn’t force the steering too much b/c that could affect the power steering. Once on the side, the car took really long to start up, I mean about 5 seconds from hearing the crank to actual startup. Usually it’s instantaneous. Now, the service engine soon, vdc off, and slip lights were on.

Symptoms:
- The car is consuming more gas and feels much heavier i.e. the engine does not push like it used to.
- When started after several hours, only the service engine soon light is on and while driving the car turns off and when restarted the other two lights (mentioned above) turn on. Happened several times. Once the two other lights are on the car does not turn off.
- When starting the car after several hours it starts up fine and the service engine soon light is on. However, when the other two lights are on the car takes about 5 seconds to start. 5 seconds sounds like nothing until you hear you’re poor mans Ferrari turnover for that long – trust me, it’s hard to take.

Next Steps:
I got my car checked out with a scanner/diagnosis and it returned code “P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor.” I had the service engine soon light cleared just to make sure it wasn’t the battery or something else. The car was driving perfectly fine and two days later the light came back on with the same issues.

After finding out that there are 3 sensors (driver side, passenger side and under the car near oil pan) for this car I put up some posts to see if anyone knows which one has the issue. So I waited. After receiving no replies and reading a few other posts it sounded like the driver side had the issue so I purchased it from the dealer and tried it. Same thing happened and did not resolve the problem. Dealer wouldn’t take electrical items back so I decided to ask the dealer to simply exchange the sensor for the passenger side. Thankfully he was able to do that.

Resolution:
I replaced the camshaft position sensor in bank 1 (passenger side) last night and it seems that the car starts up better than before and does not turn off. The service engine soon light just turned off about 2 days ago so Im hoping everything is fine now.

I just find it really hard to believe Nissan/Infiniti does not cover such a dangerous problem. I can understand that every car has mechanical/electrical issues but for a car to stop working on the road like that is unacceptable. There was a recall on this issue but according to Nissan only 18 cars were affected so I was rejected. What can you do?

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

#12 ·
G35 No Start Up

I drive a 03 g35 coupe 6mt. I have been having problems with the car shutting off at highway speeds. Most of the time the car will start up after it shut off, until about a week ago it wouldnt start back up at all and i had to get the car towed home! After reading your threads i replaced The crank position sensor and both Cam Position Sensor, still nothing! and now when i connect the dianostic on the car it wont even read codes! what could this problem be?

#15 ·
Badboy029

I have the same exact problem! after a while both the light go away but then they come back when the car turns off. after both lights come on it takes about 5sec and bit of gas to start up the car.

questions.....
-which sensor was it and did ALL your problems go away???
-is it easy to fix oneself?

Please Help. thank you

#16 ·
Same problem here too. Service engine, VDC and slip lights are on and it taks about 5 seconds to start up the car while giving it some gas. I had a buddy of mine do that computer diagnostics test thing and he said I need new camshafts. He said the computer didnt tell him which one so I should just relace both. After reading everyones posts above, I read there are 3 all together and not just 2? Should I start by buying one of them and see if that works? If it doesnt, I can return it in exchange for the other one?

#17 ·
I think you mean camshaft position sensors.

The code that shows on the code reader will tell you which sensor needs to be replaced. What is the code number that was displayed?

What year and model car do you have? What transmission?

Buying camshaft position sensors can be expensive. They range from about $75 to $100. Some electrical parts can't be returned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.