Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

fuel type?

17K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  msl558 
#1 ·
in lieu of the economy, has anyone downgraded to PLUS gas? I've been using premium for my 06 g35 coupe AT, and i was wondering what the difference might be if i start using PLUS instead of PREMIUM

#8 ·
If you move down to a lower octane, you may encounter a bit of knocking, esp. at low rpm. When the engine senses the knowcking, it will quickly compensate by backing off on the timing a bit. This in turn will cost you a little bit of power.

To give a feel for how much power is lost- when Hyundai launched their Genesis, they quoted peak horsepower ratings for both premium and mid range fuels. Dropping from 91 to 89 gave something like a 7 HP loss (roughly 375 going down to 368 if memory serves me right; a little less than 2%. As a side- check out the Genesis coupe that will come to the US next year at Hyundai Genesis Coupe: Affordable Performance 300+hp Sport Coupe | Hyundai I saw a bunch of these when I visited Hyundai's development site last year. It's not a G- but its not a bad first shot....

I also ran a test last year for a few months where I swapped betweeen premium and regular and kept track of gas mileage for each. Premium gaved about 1-2% better mileage but at a price premium of >10%. The regular gave a little knock under some conditions but like I said before- the computer quickly compensated for it....

#10 ·
Also you have to think that the higher octane the fuel the hotter it burns, therefor lasts longer. You might not notice a huge difference, but you would prob be spending just as much in miles just because the fuel wont last as long.

#18 ·
I am basically saying that if you use cheaper gas for the reason of saving money there is no point. The cheaper gas will burn quicker therefor you will have to fill up more often and overall you will end up spending just as much cash on gas.

Mind you it wont a very noticeable difference. But it will be about the same amount as what you would of payed for the better gas.

#12 ·
I don't know if the fuel grades are different in your area, but here we typically get 87, 89, and 93. Since Infiniti recommends 91, I could technically use half a tank of 89 and half a tank of 93. (Or 33% @ 87 + 66% @ 93).

The price differential between plus & premium, however, is only 10 cents/gallon, so that would only save me 5 cents/gallon, times 15 gallons/fillup = 75 cents times 26 tanks per year = $19.50 per year saved.

If the price differential between grades ever becomes greater, or if I find myself driving a LOT more, then it may become worth the extra effort. Until then, premium only.

#13 ·
A question for you guys. How would you know if you are really getting a premium gas on a premium pump? do you ever think of that? I mean just out of curiosity, we might think that were getting a premium gas(93) but instead were getting a regular. Im sure a lot of people had encountered this one.

#15 ·
so do u give a baby a plastic bag even tho it states not to, simply cuz u dont see a problem??....do u dry ur hair in the bathtub even tho it says not too but u dont see a problem ???....so Why the hell Put anything less than 91 octane in ur G ?!?...they made the car and the engine all u did was buy it....in otherwords they know more about the engine then u do and no the consequences of using non 91 octane....it doesnt say use 89 becuz gas is high right now....USE 91....if u cant afford the gas u cant afford the car !!

( . )

#17 ·
I'm asking if you have thought taht when get you GAS (93 octane) do you really get 93 octane? how would you know their not a bogus gas station? even though it's SHEEL, EXXON, TEXACO or SONOCO. I noticed that regular gas is lightly colored than the premium, but there are times I get gas from the same gas station and I noticed that theres something different from the color of the fuel(93 octane)

#20 ·
I experimented with 89 mid-grade in the Murano, same 3.5 VQ engine. Wife said she got some pings. That was enough for me. I went back to the good stuff and never looked back. Not worth it at 20 cents a gallon savings.

#27 ·
I understand that, but I was wondering why you would burn more fuel since your computer is still controlling how much fuel is injected. How easily the fuel burns or how quickly it burns has nothing to do with how much fuel is injected no?

#29 ·
I'm driving tomorrow to Fayetville north carolina . I would like to experiment on how this Octane boosters works? any of you tried one of those?(in your car) which brand do you recommend? you think it works?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.