twin turbo vs supercharger - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
6MT.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Infiniti G35 Coupe / Sedan Infiniti G35

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe
Register Home Forum Active Topics / Realtime Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

6mt.net is the premier Infiniti Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
0-24 Posts

Default twin turbo vs supercharger

hi. im new to this forum. im planning to buy some kind of forced induction for 5at 2005 g35 coupe but cannot decide which to buy. which will be better for my automatic car, twin turbo or supercharger? which brand will give the best performance on stock automatic? thanks.
hjlim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Your 5AT isn't very strong when dealing with forced induction. Usually, 400 - 425 whp/torque is the limit before things overheat and slip. Without some expensive upgrades, TT is not going to work well for your car. A supercharger would be the better choice.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Over 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley View Post
Your 5AT isn't very strong when dealing with forced induction. Usually, 400 - 425 whp/torque is the limit before things overheat and slip. Without some expensive upgrades, TT is not going to work well for your car. A supercharger would be the better choice.
why would the supercharger be better? (i have an 04 A/T and was looking into some stuff stuff like this ) would major problems occur with any forced induction at all?, assuming it was properly installed and everything was done right.
2004 g status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

What are your goals for the FI? Are you going to just tool around town, 1/4 mile racing, road racing? What kind of torque/power are you looking for and what is your budget?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Over 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004 g status View Post
why would the supercharger be better? (i have an 04 A/T and was looking into some stuff stuff like this ) would major problems occur with any forced induction at all?, assuming it was properly installed and everything was done right.
usually, more power can be obtained via turbo compared to supercharger on our motors (most of the time) with a straight bolt on kit.
In your situation of having an auto, I would also prefer supercharger as well........ Most supercharger kits come with one pulley and your boost is set depending on its size, depending on the wastegate setup that comes in your turbo kit (internal or external), you may be able to simply make a boost controller, up the boost, and make tranny go poopy on you. I have not researched the kits that are sold for the g but I'm sure they come with an internally gated turbo/turbos, making it not possible to adjust unless you make a block off plate and modify your manifold to accept an external wastegate.

I'm not sure gilleys reason for saying sc, but that is my opinion also. I look at turbo as something to make big power. For something to fart around town with, a supercharger has no lag and has much more usable power.

Last edited by theg35show; 05-07-2008 at 12:51 PM.
theg35show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

^^^If properly sized a turbo is a good option to a SC's quick response. In my case I'm at near full boost at only 3,000 rpms. Now if you want some massive snail(s), then yes you can ultimately get more torque, but with the expense of more lag.

I would again say that it's very important to objectively get your goals down on paper as well as budget. With these two in mind (especially budget) you can go about eliminating a lot of options simply because they are outside your budget.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Over 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZire View Post
^^^If properly sized a turbo is a good option to a SC's quick response. In my case I'm at near full boost at only 3,000 rpms. Now if you want some massive snail(s), then yes you can ultimately get more torque, but with the expense of more lag.

I would again say that it's very important to objectively get your goals down on paper as well as budget. With these two in mind (especially budget) you can go about eliminating a lot of options simply because they are outside your budget.
this is true also, but ultimately, for a daily street use drive around town car, sc would be better but only in my opinion.

trust me, when it comes down to it, on my own personal car i would go turbo, even if i was looking to make 350whp, i would run a turbo. I just got rid of my turboed civic, and on that little 1.6L sohc, i wasnt in full boost until 4500 rpm, but that didnt much matter cuse i shifted at 8500 rpm. but turbos are more fun, sound a whole lot cooler depending on the size of the snail, and bov.........I love turbos, i envy you Gzire for having one. Im completely jealous and i would love to turbo my G, but i also love the NA reliablility aspect in my G while NA.

anyway, for an auto tranny, the only real thing that i see good about going turbo is that you can build boost off of the line (compared to a 6mt) and between shifts you wont lose pressure out of your IC piping therefor you wont have any lag and turbo spool up time to deal with between shifts.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Duper Moderator

My reason for recommending a SC over a turbo on a 5AT car is that the torque from the turbo will cause problems with the AT a lot faster than the SC, with its lower torque. Even with a SC, AT problems can occur if the tranny isn't upgraded with at least a cooler and valve body upgrade.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Over 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley View Post
My reason for recommending a SC over a turbo on a 5AT car is that the torque from the turbo will cause problems with the AT a lot faster than the SC, with its lower torque. Even with a SC, AT problems can occur if the tranny isn't upgraded with at least a cooler and valve body upgrade.
yeah i figured it was based on the power and tq differences between the two.....and your right......turbos produce more power and torque on alot of motors
Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
0-24 Posts

i was thinking of spending around $10000 for forced induction and related parts, since FI costs so much. or spend around $5000 for NA. i just want to race at the track for fun once awhile. now i cant decide between SC, TT or NA...
hjlim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Over 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlim88 View Post
i was thinking of spending around $10000 for forced induction and related parts, since FI costs so much. or spend around $5000 for NA. i just want to race at the track for fun once awhile. now i cant decide between SC, TT or NA...
its really boils down to what you want. Most will tell you that if you're looking for decent power numbers and also track numbers, that FI is probably the way to go, especially with an automatic.......now with that said, anytime you introduce anysort of FI to your motor, it can turn into a fussy bitch. It all depends on the extent you go to have it properly tuned because the tune is what makes a FI build work, and I mean work well. I don't know much about the vq motors yet, I'm still learning, but I do know alot about FI and with your auto tranny and everything, I think your risking reliability over time with a SC or TT setup. But if you go NA, your going to be missing out on alot of power as well.

Talk to Looksfast here on the forum. He spent about 4k in mods and broke into the 12's and over 300whp with an NA setup. He also has a manual tranny though........

If it were me, I would do what gilley said and run a SC. Vortech and procharger make real nice kits. I think but I'm not sure that the procharger kits ate more pricey.

Your going to be limited though on your options. Your auto tranny will only hold so much, but NA just won't get you a whole lot. I say SC kit.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Over 100 Posts

I have been supercharged for 3 and 1/2 years and now twin turbo'd for the last year with my auto.If you go either way make sure you get a decent sized cooler and a v/b also a tc is not a bad option.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Over 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedg View Post
I have been supercharged for 3 and 1/2 years and now twin turbo'd for the last year with my auto.If you go either way make sure you get a decent sized cooler and a v/b also a tc is not a bad option.
v/b and tc ??? sorry im oblivious to this stuff.....kinda new
2004 g status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Duper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedg View Post
You should do a writeup on what you did to your AT to make it last for you. Two of my close friends with ATs had lots of problems, even with a Vortech, tranny cooler, and valve body.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Over 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004 g status View Post
v/b and tc ??? sorry im oblivious to this stuff.....kinda new
Sorry a tc is a tourqe convertor and a vb is a valve body they both help the trans live under a lot more power then stock .
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe