04 G35 Coupe Front right tire knocking over bumps and around turns - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post 1 of 13 Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 AM
0-24 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default 04 G35 Coupe Front right tire knocking over bumps and around turns

I have a g35 coupe that when I go over a hard bump I hear a knocking noise coming from the front right tire area. I also went on an on ramp at about 50-55 and the front right wheel felt like it started "slipping" and the slip gauge was lighting up. Anyone have this same issue or idea what it could be?

Thanks,

Kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post 2 of 13 Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
25-99 Posts

When I turn into my drive way which has a pretty high curve, I hear that knocking noise too. Anyone have any suggestions on what it could be?
Should I take it to the dealership?

Tom

post 3 of 13 Old 03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
25-99 Posts

Don't overlook the simple stuff... Check the torque/tightness of your lug nuts first... If they're secure, using an appropriate jack/stand on a level surface elevate that tire/wheel off the ground. Make sure the car is blocked, brake on, in gear or PARK (ignition OFF, of course). Look closely at the suspension components for damage or loose parts. Facing the suspected wheel, grasp the top and bottom of the tire and try to "rock" it on the spindle... You shouldn't feel any movement - if you do, it might be the wheel bearing, loose or damaged control arm, etc... If you're not an accomplished suspension technician/mechanic...it's shop time... Drive it there if you think you can (and feel lucky), otherwise have it towed.
post 4 of 13 Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Over 10,000 Posts

This may be really stupid, but you never know...please don't be insulted if you eliminated this. Have you checked the air in the tire. I see tires ALL THE TIME that are seriously deflated. I think people tend to miss them in particular when they have low profile tires.

$.02
post 5 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 02:23 AM
0-24 Posts

Hey all, my first post here!

I picked up an '04 6mt Coupe just last month, and I love it. I have the same problem that you are experiencing with the metal-type sound coming from my passenger side. Mine does this on both the front and rear passenger wheel areas. It happens when I corner a little harder than normal, going over certain bumps, and it is especially noticeable when going over speedbumps. (just from that one side). I just recently took my car in to the stealership to have them fix the rear-axle clicking noise. Luckily for me, I still had a powertrain warranty from the previous owner. So...I don't believe that this has relation to that problem. Although I no longer have warranty on the car, I've scheduled an appointment with the dealership to have it checked out. (These random noises irk me). I will keep you posted on what they find.

~Chris
post 6 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Over 25,000 Posts

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormansporsche View Post
This may be really stupid, but you never know...please don't be insulted if you eliminated this. Have you checked the air in the tire. I see tires ALL THE TIME that are seriously deflated. I think people tend to miss them in particular when they have low profile tires.

$.02
i was going to mention this too, although i believe all 04+ have TPMS right? so that would eliminate that. a seriously deflated tire will definitely cause the car to 'slip' and that will illuminate the slip light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley View Post
You are the glue that holds 6MT together.
Quote:
750, you are so wonderful. The world is a brighter place with you here.
Quote:
you're just so magical.
post 7 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Over 25,000 Posts

how long is the powertain warranty on these cars? i have the axle click but my 4 yr/60k warranty is up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you're just so magical.
post 8 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the750 View Post
how long is the powertain warranty on these cars? i have the axle click but my 4 yr/60k warranty is up.
Infiniti Vehicle Warranty - Infiniti USA

Some cars have issues with the compression arm bushings which will make noise up front when they are bad. There is a TSB about it.

'03.5 Caribbean Blue 5at Sedan & '06 Autumn Copper FX35
post 9 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
25-99 Posts

I just recently had the same problem. Originally thought it was the strut mount, but when we dropped the suspension we discovered that the compression arm bushing was blown. Couldn't see the problem when everything was connected. I want to say I paid about $270 for a new arm. Problem solved.
post 10 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
25-99 Posts

Also, you can change the compression arm yourself and you don't even have to remove the wheel and your allignment won't change. Lift the front end and put it on stands, remove the plastic under cover, remove the front crossbar, then remove the cotter pin and nut holding the compression arm ball joint to the steering knuckle. If it doesn't just fall free you can use a hammer to hit the knuckle until the ball joint comes free.

The replacement arm will already have the bushing and ball joint installed, but it doesn't come with the ball seat, which is a conical shaped bushing that fits on the ball joint and wedges into the hole on the steering knuckle. When I changed mine, it looked like the ball seat was part of the compression arm ball joint. The new arm didn't have the ball seat on it so I called the dealer and basically said "WTF?" They told me that the ball seat is supposed to just "come off" and can be used on the new arm. Well....it didn't just come off. We needed a mini-sledge and pickle fork to knock the ball seat free from the old arm. The entire job should have taken about 45 minutes, but it took us about that long just to get the damn ball seat free from the old ball joint.

Just throwing that out there in case you decide to DIY.
post 11 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
0-24 Posts

Sorry, forgot to mention that I did not have the slip light come on. I wish I were technically gifted enough to DIY this problem >_< . Thanks for the helps so far though. Hopefully, when the car is brought in, they can diagnose and isolate the problem.
post 12 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Over 25,000 Posts

Quote:
Infiniti Vehicle Warranty - Infiniti USA

Some cars have issues with the compression arm bushings which will make noise up front when they are bad. There is a TSB about it.
woohoo! so that means they will cover my axle click?! it's an 04 bought new sept 2003, has 60k miles now.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you're just so magical.
post 13 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the750 View Post
woohoo! so that means they will cover my axle click?! it's an 04 bought new sept 2003, has 60k miles now.
You will be covered if your car falls within the terms of the warranty contract.

'03.5 Caribbean Blue 5at Sedan & '06 Autumn Copper FX35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe