LinkBack Thread Tools
post 1 of 14 Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Over 100 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Alignment issues

I have an 04 and the shop I took my car to is telling me that they can't get the alignment dead on in the rear due to camber. Also, the guy who did the alignment owns a G too. He said that I needed control arms for the rear to get it dead on.

MY suspension setup is stock.

What gives?

Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post 2 of 14 Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)

Some cars have alignment specs to the outside limits of acceptable. Maybe yours is a little more so. Or maybe your alignment guy is looking at the wrong specs.

My G35 sedan on stock suspension wore out a set of tires on the insides and was within alignment specs. I got camber kits for the front and rear to fix that. They were cheaper than a new set of tires.

Get the Eibach rear camber kit from AJ-USA. It's the SPC rear camber kit with the toe bolts inclused for about $145 shipped.

'03.5 Caribbean Blue 5at Sedan & '06 Autumn Copper FX35
post 3 of 14 Old 12-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Nice- Thanks man, I've been looking at just the control arms without toe bolts on Ebay.

Just talked to my mechanic and he said to get the toe bolts too.
post 4 of 14 Old 12-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Over 250 Posts

Our cars have alignment setups that are extremely easy to throw out therefore requiring regular alignments. Sound ridiculous? Welcome to the club.

04/G35C/5AT/IvoryPearl/Graphite/Prem.
01 LS430 Silver/Nav
post 5 of 14 Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
0-24 Posts

Default Front Alignment Poblem

I was told the same thing by a tech at Firestone. I went in for an alignment and he told me that he couldn稚 get the right front camber back into factory spec. The acceptable front factory camber spec range for a 07 G35 Coupe is -1.3 0.3 degrees. The right front of my vehicle is currently at -1.6 degrees or 0.3 degrees out of spec. So he recommends that I buy a camber kit for the front.

My dilemma is that I知 not interested in lowering my G anymore than it currently sits right from the factory. So my questions are as follows.

1. Should I take the car to the Infiniti or Nissan service center to get a second opinion?

2. If a camber kit is necessary do I have to replace both sides in the front or just the right side which has the alignment problem?

3. Since I知 only looking to keep the alignment at factory specs are there any simple camber kits that you guys know of that will allow this to be accomplished?

Any help or guidance that you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

p.s. I知 happy with they way the car handles with fresh tires and the manufactures recommend alignment spec.
post 6 of 14 Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Over 100 Posts

The G's have negative camber from the factory purposely for performance sake. These cars REGULARLY wear the tires on the inside, especially in the front.

Your best bet is to get the aftermarket suspension that people have been mentioning. Find some good adjustable camber/control arms in the front and rear. You'll be able to dump it as low as you want...and your tires won't pay the price.

Ideally, you'll want to get all four corners replaced. I'm pretty sure the fronts and rears always come in pairs.

Dialed-in suspension will breath life back into any ride.

Last edited by Omega Blacc; 06-23-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added more info.
post 7 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Quoted: 153 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVegas View Post
I was told the same thing by a tech at Firestone. I went in for an alignment and he told me that he couldn稚 get the right front camber back into factory spec. The acceptable front factory camber spec range for a 07 G35 Coupe is -1.3 0.3 degrees. The right front of my vehicle is currently at -1.6 degrees or 0.3 degrees out of spec. So he recommends that I buy a camber kit for the front.

My dilemma is that I知 not interested in lowering my G anymore than it currently sits right from the factory. So my questions are as follows.

1. Should I take the car to the Infiniti or Nissan service center to get a second opinion?

2. If a camber kit is necessary do I have to replace both sides in the front or just the right side which has the alignment problem?

3. Since I知 only looking to keep the alignment at factory specs are there any simple camber kits that you guys know of that will allow this to be accomplished?

p.s. I知 happy with they way the car handles with fresh tires and the manufactures recommend alignment spec.
As Omega said above, these cars come from the factory with negative camber, for better handling in corners, but this causes the insides of the tires to wear much faster than the rest of the tire.

Being "within specs" doesn't mean youwon't wear the insides of the tires. My sedan was within alignment specs but wore out the inside of the tires and the outside treat was almost new looking.

If you don't want to buy tires more often and you don't want to dismount and remount tires to the rims on the other side, then you should install camber kits, at least in the front (do both sides) and have the alignment set to as close to zero degrees as possible. If you let them align it within specs, you'll still have inside tire wear.

There is no adjustment from the factory for camber up front and very little adjustment in the rear. Taking it to an infiniti dealer will only make your wallet lighter.

'03.5 Caribbean Blue 5at Sedan & '06 Autumn Copper FX35
post 8 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
25-99 Posts

Another point that needs to be taken into consideration is to make sure you don't waste your money on a pair of front camber arms. They have many different "brands" that make them and some don't adjust enough when you lower your car more than a couple inches. SPC makes IMHO the best front camber arms and I have never heard of a single complaint about them. They have the most adjustment available that I have heard of for the G. It has adjustment of -1.5 to +3.5 degrees of camber. Thats more than enough. It also can adjust caster + or - 1 degree. They have the kit where you can get the rear camber arms and with toe bolt all for around $400.

I don't recommend anything else other than this kit honestly. But do as you wish since your car isn't lowered (that I know of).

03 G35-Vortech V2 SC with Water/Meth, DD 407whp/338wtq
post 9 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 AM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗƭȱȑ

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVegas View Post

did you miss this part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterdevilg35 View Post
Another point that needs to be taken into consideration is to make sure you don't waste your money on a pair of front camber arms. They have many different "brands" that make them and some don't adjust enough when you lower your car more than a couple inches. SPC makes IMHO the best front camber arms and I have never heard of a single complaint about them. They have the most adjustment available that I have heard of for the G. It has adjustment of -1.5 to +3.5 degrees of camber. Thats more than enough. It also can adjust caster + or - 1 degree. They have the kit where you can get the rear camber arms and with toe bolt all for around $400.

I don't recommend anything else other than this kit honestly. But do as you wish since your car isn't lowered (that I know of).
post 10 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

blast from the past....

update...

I've dropped the car an inch with springs, havent gotten shocks yet. I also got some control arms and have my alignment set pretty aggressively to kindof coordinate with how i drive.

IT HAS DEFINITELY saved my tires.

Then again I only am at 47K miles, so I dont drive it much!
post 11 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Over 100 Posts

(Thread Starter)

oh yeah, the control arm's are spc and the springs are eibach, both, almost brand new still in boxes for $200 bucks.
post 12 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗƭȱȑ

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

damn what a bargain!
post 13 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)