Slight clutch shudder in 1st -- Is this normal? - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post 1 of 3 Old 08-04-2003, 12:32 PM
0-24 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Slight clutch shudder in 1st -- Is this normal?

I have a 2003 G35 Coupe with the 6-speed manual. The car has 5,000 km on it (translation for our American friends: 3106 miles).

I’ve noticed that when I start-up in 1st gear that there is a slight “stutter” or “shudder” which I feel in the clutch pedal. If I listen closely, I can also hear the shudder, too. It feels like the clutch is going “grab-slip-grab-slip-grab-slip” very quickly. Once the clutch is fully engaged the shudder goes away. At redline the clutch remains firmly engaged without any slippage.

I'm an experienced manual-transmission driver. However, I'm used to driving smaller cars with much less torque and power than my new G35. I’ve never felt this type of stutter through the clutch pedal before.

<font face="Arial Black">My question is:</font id="Arial Black"> If you own a manual transmission coupe, have you experienced the same stuttering sensation? Or is this “normal” for a high-performance clutch on a car with this much power?

The car is due for its first oil change and I want to know if it is worth it for me to complain about this problem. My concern is that there may be a minor problem with the clutch or the clutch master cylinder, but the components will only fail after the warranty has expired. Or, worse yet, the dealer may choose not to cover clutch replacement because of “driver induced premature failure of transmission components” (yeah, right!). [boink]

*** 2003 G35 Coupe, 6-Speed manual ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post 2 of 3 Old 08-04-2003, 12:59 PM
0-24 Posts

I have had a nissan pathfinder and sentra as well as a g35 6 speed. I have noticed, after a while, all the nissans I have driven or ridden in have a kind of "stutter" in first gear. It has taken some time for it to show up and it doesn't always happen. It ususally stutters after some long driving in traffic, but goes away after an overnight rest. I have not complained about it to the dealership but have had no real problems with the nissans (the clutch was replaced in the pathfinder after 90k miles = 144837 km but thats because I drove it very hard through LA traffic)

I have not experienced it in the g35 yet but mine is brand new. If you feel bad enough about it report it and have the dealer look at the clutch.
post 3 of 3 Old 08-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by vittopaparazzi

My concern is that there may be a minor problem with the clutch or the clutch master cylinder, but the components will only fail after the warranty has expired. Or, worse yet, the dealer may choose not to cover clutch replacement because of “driver induced premature failure of transmission components” (yeah, right!). [boink]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You don't have to worry about the dealer saying that there is a driver induced failure. There is a 12,000 mile (19,200 km in your case) warranty on premature clutch wear. I think it is for all cars in fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe