Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

Just bought a g35 coupe and bose blows

42K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  bachman 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is my 1st post. I just bought a 2006 G35 coupe and my biggest complaint is the stereo. Ive had bose in my cars before and never had a problem with sound. However, this car bose sounds crappy and has very little range, no bass at all and radio doesnt sound clear half the time. Its very disappointing. The infinitiy dealership said their was nothing wrong but im shocked how unclear this system sounds sometimes.

Is this normal for a infiniti g35 coupe bose system?

Ive read a little about upgrading but I have a few questions. If I keep the Bose HU, is difficult to replaced the speakers in the front and the rear? What options for speakers do i have by keeping the Bose HU? What have you guys done ?

I'm thinking if i add a sub then maybe things will get a little better. Who has tried bazooka? I'm not trying to show off my bass but just want to add a little bass to this car since it has nothing.

Thanks,

#3 ·
I tend to be hated on this forum when it comes to talking about BOSE. I HATE HATE HATE BOSE. If you cant hear the highs, and you cant head the lows, and likely a BOSE.

Now if you search around you will discover that due to a strange network and amps after market speakers sound pretty crappy on the stock head unit (which I think is Clarion btw). The biggest problem is your heat / ac controls are built in to the stereo, which makes it a bitch to replace the head unit, plus you will need an expensive fit kit. Some people have wired after market subs into the stock system, ive heard 2, I did not like it. But again I am a huge audiophile.

The approach I took was to put up with the BOSE system as long as I could while putting some money aside. I ended up ripping out every last bit, including wire, and putting in 6 infinity reference speakers, 10 inch sub, and used a 4 channel amp to control the sub and the rears. For 400$ you can get very nice double din touch screen head units these days.

So I ramble on, your options are

1 - Deal with it
2 - replace speakers (but dont expect much)
3 - add a sub (range will not be great but at least it gets you some punch)
4 - rip out everything and do it right...

#5 ·
Yeah......BOSE. I think they left the 'L' out of that word. A lot of people in this country have been fooled by the Bose marketing team and I can happily say that I am not one of them. This doesn't just apply to the Bose system in the G, but to ALL Bose products. I am also on AVSForum.com (audio video science forum)quite frequently. If you don't believe me that all Bose sucks, join that forum and put up a post asking if you should by a Bose lifestyle system. I guarantee you will receive a lot of feedback and none of it will be good.

If you are not an audiophile and you are just happy to have something that plays CDs in your car, then great. You're all set. Me? I NEED good quality sound. The ONLY way to make it better is to replace all the speakers and the amp. I left my head unit in, but changing the amp, speakers and adding a real sub made a 300% difference.

#7 ·
Yeah, the first car that I had was a 1984 chevy cavalier. AM radio ONLY, it didn't even have FM!!! But currently I have an IPOD hookup in both my vehicles, so that is what I listen to 90% of the time. I don't remember the last time I touched an actual CD. I'm definitely much happier with the stereo I put in. The Bose just wasn't cutting it. No bass at all.

#8 ·
i am definitely not an audiophile, but i really dont get what is so bad about the bose system. i'm not saying there's nothing better, but it definitely gets the job done. maybe you guys have just never been in a car without an 'upgraded' system.

the only vehicle i've been in with a truly impressive 'factory' sound system was one of these...

#10 ·
i am definitely not an audiophile, but i really dont get what is so bad about the bose system. i'm not saying there's nothing better, but it definitely gets the job done. maybe you guys have just never been in a car without an 'upgraded' system.

the only vehicle i've been in with a truly impressive 'factory' sound system was one of these...
i agree. sounded fine to me for what i needed it for.

#12 ·
I changed my head unit to an eclipse 726e and it just sounds worse. If you are thinking of changing something, change everything.
I'm changing all the speakers to infinity kappa and have two 12 subs that are custom boxed in the trunk.

change everything and will love your G much better (my cousin has done this )

#15 ·
Yes I have all 6 Infinity Reference speakers. Shallow mount for the back because of the issue some have with fitting the speakers. The amp I am using is a 600watt 4 channel Kenwood, bargain basement kinda amp in the sense it was only 100$ but its more that enough. In fact the 6x9's I am running while they claim 100watt rms, if I give them half that they bottom out. I am running 1 sub. Its a 12 inch alpine type R. Its enough that if I want to turn it up I can bump around town, but usually i leave it lower and use it to really enhance the sound I have. Especially since Infinity tends to be a little "bright" or high pitch. All in all there is a TON of sound in my system. It really feels like its all around you. My head unit is the older version of your Eclipse that you got, and it takes a LOT LOT LOT of tuning to get things right on that thing. I wish you were in Maryland so I could have you take a listen. A lot of people on the forum here have really good front speakers, then only put in 6 1/2 in the back for "filler sound". I tried that first but was not happy with the lack of good mid / lows, even with a sub so I added in te 6x9's. The sub gives you the extreme lows, the 6 1/2 easily give you good mids and highs. I was just missing that high frequency bass that you would get from a tom drum or an open chord on a guitar and the 6x9s really filled that void.

#16 ·
Not sure what kind of 'science' you guys are smoking.. but Bose is excellent, especially for a car. You can tell the disgruntled people when they just gripe and dont offer an alternative. Oh and then there's the alternative to just park you car in a nearby concert hall, and open the doors.
At 53, I can (still, lol) hear plenty of high high's and low bass on my stock Bose, guess I was just lucky.

#22 ·
My Dodge Stratus with Infiniti system stock, better than G35 BOSE

My Olds Alero with Delco system - Better than G35 BOSE

My Ford Mustang with Mach 460 Stereo - Much worse then G35 BOSE.

Going back to the Acura TL comment before, that stock system is AMAZING! I have been in a few of them and I would almost take that over my aftermarket setup.

#25 ·
^^^^ Yeah, I gotta be honest, for a factory system that's 11 years old now I think the Chrysler/Jeep Infiniti stuff sounds pretty good. I'm not gonna win any competitions with it, but it has decent bass and pretty crisp highs.

So, that's actually an Alpine amp that I would have? Not Infiniti? I didn't know that.

#30 ·
well let me add to that:

Consumer lesson#2 - Just because a company spends a couple billion a year marketing their name doesn't mean they provide you with great service. I have gotten worse service at infiniti dealership (just a particular one) than volvo, honda or toyota dealership

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.